This magnificent castle lays claim to being the only totally rebuilt privately owned Cathar castle in existence and its origins may go back further than the Cathar movement of 1100-1300.
• The castle was completely restored in the 1990s at a cost of over euros20m including massive bolted wooden doors, the gargantuan carved stone fireplaces, narrow spiral staircases and gargoyles that spout water to fill the plunge pool in the center of the courtyard.
• Also added as part of the restoration were modern conveniences, carefully hidden so as not to spoil the atmosphere of antiquity: modern underfloor heating, mood lighting provides illumination from under wood beams, en suite bathrooms for each of the eight bedrooms, salons, a billiard room, a card room, dining room, kitchen, laundry and terraces.
• Each room offers breathtaking views over Saint Martin de Toques' 100 hectares of hills and valleys (and on a clear day you can see the Pyrenees), as well as a tennis court and a helicopter pad.
• Also included is a stone farmhouse that contains 10 apartments and a chapel (containing, in a glass case, what is purported to be a piece of Jesus's robe).
• Furnishings can be negotiated, including the nuns' beds with their wooden pews at their bases for kneeling in prayer.
Property Ref: PSU683
(Honoraires à la charge du vendeur / Agency fees are chargeable to the seller)