Monte Laster is an American artist and the founder of FACE.
1. What initially inspired you to move here or visit?
I was sent here as an assistant missionary for a protestant church.
2. Earliest Paris memory?
Walking out of the Gare du Nord and feeling like I was home for the first time in my life.
3. Best neighbourhood you’ve ever lived in?
Where I live now in La Courneuve in the northern suburbs. Inside Paris it was rue Legendre in the 17th.
4. What’s the best meal you’ve eaten in Paris?
High-end: Canard à l’orange at La tour d’argent.
Normal: Pavé au poivre at Le petit chalet.
5. Sexiest moment you’ve had in Paris?
Meeting the person I love at the train station for the first time.
6. What do you hate most about living in Paris?
People complaining and being rude.
7. Who’s your favourite Parisian — be they living or dead, real or fictional?
8. Favourite cinema?
9. Right bank or left bank? And why?
Right bank, because it’s where the action takes place.
10. Favourite Caviste?
Nicholas, rue Rambuteau.
11. Where do you go to escape the city?
Home, in La Courneuve.
12. Where are the best looking girls or boys in Paris and why?
Beaubourg, because the whole world is there.
13. Where do you get your news?
14. Favourite museum?
The Centre Pompidou.
15. Favourite shop?
The bookstore at the Centre Pompidou.
16. Who’s the most stylish Paris personality?
17. What is your favourite film set in Paris?
Roman Polanski’s Frantic.
18. What about Paris most inspires you?
It’s sense of mystery.
19. What makes someone a Parisian?
20. What’s your favourite French word? (Swear words allowed!)